Did You Know?

Ferguson Manor at the corner of 152 St and 82nd Ave, Surrey, is named after 
Sergeant Amos Gordon Ferguson – Regimental # 5905
RNWMP & RCMP

I spent five years at Surrey Detachment in the early 1990s and each year attended Remembrance Day Services in one of the Town Centres. Later, in retirement, I worked in the Training Section working with new members arriving at the detachment from “Depot”.  During all that time I was unaware of the connection between the City of Surrey and former Sergeant Amos Ferguson until I read the book “Honoured in Places” co-written by retired members Staff Sergeant William Hulgaard, Reg # 17856, and Chief Superintendent John Wesley “Jack” White, Reg # 16721/O.795,  in which they detailed “Whether by chance or by intention, to honour them, more than a few members of the North West Mounted Police, the Royal North West Mounted Police and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have had their names immortalized at places across western and northern Canada.”  Amos Ferguson is just one of many to have been so honoured.

Taken from “Honoured in Places”: Amos Gordon Ferguson, M.M. left a year after joining the Force to join up with the Lord Strathcona’s Horse, CEF, for service in the WWI.  He was wounded twice and awarded the Military Medal.  On his return from overseas in April 1919, he rejoined the Force and served in “K” Division and by 1922 he attained the rank of Sergeant.  His career effectively ended on March 8, 1922, when he was charged in Orderly Room with “rendering false and misleading reports” to his Officer Commanding respecting an investigation.  He was fined $30.00 and demoted to constable and ordered dismissed from the Force.

After leaving the force he worked with the Harbour Police, Provincial Gaol Service and worked at the Oakalla Prison Farm in Burnaby.  In 1951 he and his wife purchased a substantial piece of property just above the present-day Guildford Golf Course at 152 St. and 82nd Ave in Surrey.  It became a gathering place for their many friends and their motto was “come early and stay late!”  At one of these gatherings it was decided to hold an annual reunion for members of the Lord Strathcona’s Horse.  And to plant a memorial tree on the property to provide a final resting place for the ashes of former cavalry members and their wives.  The Royal Canadian Legion traditionally carries out an annual memorial service to this day.  Ferguson donated the land to the Royal Canadian Legion with the request that it be used for senior-citizen low-rental housing.  The Zone 7 contingent of the Pacific Command, Royal Canadian Legion, pooled its assets and erected a 51-suite manor.  Legionnaires have first chance at 75 percent of the suites; the remaining 25 percent are for low-income seniors in exchange for 33 percent of their pension income.  

The original memorial tree had to be moved to accommodate the Manor, so it was transplanted to the west side at the south end of a mini-parade ground.  Amos Ferguson died in 1982 and his ashes were placed at the base of that tree.

Sgt. D. Laird Allan (Reg # 28821)  (Ret’d) shared the photos above with Amos Ferguson, on the right, who signed the picture for Laird and presented it to him.  Below Amos doing the “Mountie” thing at Lake Louise.

Ric Hall 24394/O.1330
2019-04-15

Photograph of retired RCMP Superintendent Ric Hall (Source of the photo – Ric Hall’s Photo Collection).
Powered by WishList Member - Membership Software